Friday, April 29, 2011

Backpacking Overnighter - Sleeping Pads

There's nothing like a great night's sleep after a day of backpacking!  Though I am convinced that I could have slept just fine as a scout on a dry, rocky stream bed without a sleeping pad, I do need one now to get any sleep.

When I was a scout I had the 1/2 inch thick, blue foam pad that was lighter than almost anything else, and did do the basic requirements of a sleeping pad which are:

  1. Make you comfortable - so you don't feel all the rocks/sticks/etc that are under you.
  2. Insulate you from the ground - which can make the difference between a cold night and a warm night's rest.
There are 4 different types of sleeping pads for backpacking.  Each has it's own pros and cons and you must decide which will fit your use the best.



  1. Thin-Closed Cell Foam Pads
  2. Thin Closed Cell Foam Pad
    1. These are like the ones I had while growing up.  They work great, weigh little, cost little, and won't ever spring a leak on you in the middle of the night.  
    2. They aren't as comfortable as thicker pads, but they will round off the sharp points under you.
    3. They can get bulky rolled up, but there are some that fold nicely if you are looking to get one that takes less space in your pack.
  3. Open-Cell Foam Pads
    1. I have a 3" open cell foam pad that I use for winter camping.  It is thick enough to insulate me from the frozen ground, and quite comfortable.
    2. Unfortunately, it soaks up water like a sponge so you have to be careful to keep it dry.  I bought some Gor-tex material from an Army Navy store and made my own Gor-tex cover for it to keep it dry in the snow.
    3. It is pretty bulky though, and I only use it on winter campouts.
  4. "Therma-Rest" type air mattresses
    1. These will self inflate most of the way, you just need to top them off with a few puffs at the end.
    2. More expensive than the first pads, but more insulation and more comfortable than them as well.
    3. They do weigh more than the thin-closed cell foam pads, and they can get bulky when rolled up.
    4. I had one of these, but it got a small hole in it somewhere so it doesn't stay up anymore.  I need to fill it up and put it in the bathtub so I can find the hole and fix it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

  5. Air Mattresses
  6. Heavy Air Mattress
    Big Agnes 2.5" Backpacking Air Mattress
    1. These can be Big Agnes type air mattresses, or air mattresses you would get to lay out on in the water at the pool (I have a friend that buys them from a Dollar Store and just throws it away when it springs a leak), or the big 6" thick air mattresses that are queen size (though I don't suggest one of these for a backpacking trip, they're pretty heavy).
    2. Air mattresses may give you a more comfortable rest, putting more distance between you and the rocky ground, but most of them aren't insulated, so they can get pretty cold to sleep on.  Big Agnes and some other companies do offer an air mattress that has some insulation in it, but you have to look for it, and be willing to spend the extra $ (I have a Big Agnes extra long pad, 2.5" thick with an insulated air core).

No comments: