Thursday, May 5, 2011

Backpacking Overnighter - Sleeping Bags

It's interesting when you get looking into different types of sleeping bags because they have these nice temperature ratings so you know what temperature you can use the bag in.  A Zero Degree bag is fine to sleep in if it's down to 0 Degrees F, right?  How simple is that?

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as you might think - especially since each company uses their own temperature rating system so you can't even compare companies sleeping bag ratings!  I've been in a zero degree bag when it was 40 degrees outside and been cold all night before.  But I've been in non-rated Walmart specials ($20 Coleman Brand Sleeping Bag) down to the 30's and been fine.
$20 Coleman Sleeping Bag

My night in a zero degree bag was in a High Peak brand bag.  I know other people that have them and seem to do fine, but mine sure should be rated for something more like 50 degrees or something.  I tried to get the lightest bag I could find, and still be a zero degree bag, and that's what I found.  I bought it on ebay for $95, and when I opened it up, I was amazed at how thin the padding was.  I ruffled it out the best I could, but it was still a thin lining.  So initially I was amazed that something that thin could keep me warm in zero degree weather, but after my first couple of trips, I found out that it doesn't.  I later attended a camping class where the speaker mentioned the High Peak brand of sleeping bags, and how they are rated wrong.
High Peak Zero Degree Bag

So, next time I saved up my money and got a more expensive sleeping bag, and I decided to go for a -15 degree bag instead - just in case.  So I put together a list of the bags I was considering, their weights, sizes, colors, fill material, etc. and then waited for a sale.  When I got my 20% off coupon for REI, I jumped on it and bought the bag I wanted.  It was a Mountain Hardware Lamina -15 mummy bag.  It weighs more than my High Peak bag, and is more bulky, but it sure keeps me warm!  I've had it on 2 snow cave campouts so far and have loved it!  Retail right now is $225 ($235 since I got the long model).
Mountain Hardware -15 Lamina Bag

Now, do you have to get an expensive bag to be comfortable?   No way!  I chose to because I know I'll be camping for a long time to come and I've been through quite a few other bags.  I've been totally comfortable in my Coleman - Walmart special as well.  Just make sure that if you are getting it to keep you warm, that it has some bulk to it.  If it's paper thin, then it cannot keep you warm - it just doesn't work that way.

Down Fill vs. Synthetic Fill?

That is a personal opinion in my mind.  Here's some of the criteria I used to determine what I would buy:


Down Fill:

  • Is a better insulator
  • Is more lightweight
  • Cost more (much more in some instances)
  • Does not keep you warm when wet
Synthetic Fill:
  • Not as good insulator
  • weighs slightly more than down
  • cost less than down
  • still works to some degree when wet
I decided that for less money I could get a bag that would work almost as well in dry situations, but work better when wet.  It does weigh a bit more, but not much.  It is also more bulky than down would have been, but it works great.

Inner Lining

There are two different types of lining in sleeping bags, Flannel, and Nylon.  Here's my thoughts:

  • Flannel may feel warmer when you first get into the bag, but if you're wearing sweats, they will stick to the flannel and you'll end up tied in a knot by morning.
  • Nylon-type lining is easier to roll around, get into, and dry out if it gets wet.
  • I prefer the nylon lining, but my kids think that the nylon is too cold.


Care for Sleeping Bags

Whenever possible, don't store sleeping bags all wrapped up tight in their stuff sack.  It causes the filling to bunch up together and leave gaps without filling.  I store my new sleeping bag under the bed, opened up.  Then when i go on a trip I stuff it in the sack just before I go.  Once I get to camp I set up my tent and pad, and shake out my sleeping bag on the pad to get some air back into the filling.

I know some people store their sleeping bags in the stuff sack, and then open it up and put it in the dryer before a trip to fluff it back up again, but I prefer to keep it stored loose.

Always dry out your sleeping bag after every trip.  Believe it or not, you sweat at night, and your body gives off moisture.  The inside of your bag is slightly moist after a night of camping.  Unzip it and lay it out over the couch or something to let it air out for a few hours (or overnight) after every trip to let it dry out.

1 comment:

j.b. wendel said...

another plus of down insulation is that it doesn't compact with age or long periods of tight storage (so I'm told, I still leave it 'loose' when in storage though).