Monday, May 16, 2011

Backpacking Overnighter - Shoes

I have been on backpacking trips with the high top hiking boots like you're "supposed" to wear, but since I haven't ever had any problems with my ankles (and I've put them through a lot of wear and tear), I prefer to use running shoes.  They're way more comfortable, more lightweight, and dry faster when they get wet.  I tend to get less blisters, and I just feel better all day.
Typical Hiking Shoe/Boot

I once read a study that said that an extra pound of weight in your shoes is equivalent to 5 extra pounds in your backpack.  So if I can take off an extra 2-4 pounds of weight by not using a leather, high top stiff hiking boot (size 14), and using a lightweight, flexible, breathable running shoe, I'm going to do it!
More Lightweight & Comfortable Running Shoe

I realize that some people have ankle problems, and therefore feel more comfortable with the extra support a high top type hiking boot gives them.  And that's fine and you should always go with what is best for you.  But, once you try hiking in running shoes, you may never go back!

Five Finger Shoes
I haven't tried the "toe" type shoes, that have spots for each of your toes and are supposed to make you feel like you're hiking barefoot, but with support and protection.  I would like to try one sometime, but am waiting for prices to go down.


BACK TO BACKPACKING OVERNIGHTER

1 comment:

j.b. wendel said...

I've been wanting to try out the finger shoes, but can't justify the expense. But I'm sold on trail running shoes, they are a little more sturdy than running shoes, but way lighter than hiking boots. I've loved a gortex pair, they keep my feet dry and still breath so my feet don't sweat.